Friday, September 29, 2023

An orchid got on the bus ...

 

A couple weeks ago, I was on my way downtown, when a young woman got on the bus, carrying a take-out meal in one hand and a potted orchid in the other. She told me she'd rescued it from the trash at her workplace; the owners use live plants to decorate the office and had thrown this one out to be replaced by new flowers. The woman had learned from her mom how to nurture and grow orchids so was taking this pretty creature home to care for. As in most workplaces, the orchid has been seen as a place-marker to be tossed aside when its usefulness had, in the eyes of its owner, become faded. It was pulled from the trash by someone who will tend and care for it as the beautiful bit of nature it is. 



2 comments:

Pat said...


Good for her. I too am not above 'rescuing' perfectly good items left in the trash. I don't rummage through the trash, but if it's sitting there and attractive, I'll take it.

roentare said...

Such a great addition to the bus scene