Tuesday, March 16, 2021

At the Swim Meet


I spent this past weekend working as a timer at the 2021 Senior Short Course Championships. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the meet was held in two cities, Elkhart and Indianapolis, with times from each site combined to determine the winners
in each event. 
All participants were required to be screened each day for Covid-19 symptoms. At the first station I checked in and stated whether or not I'd developed any symptoms of infection from the virus. At the second, I was asked to stand in front of an iPad on a pole, with my head filling the outline more than it shows in the above picture. It actually "took" my temperature and I betcha-by-golly it sure would have taken my photo if it was not within its guidelines. I was then given a colored band to display on my lanyard to indicate I had been screened. After meeting with the other members of the timing and scoring staff, we took what was essentially a backdoor, winding route to get to the pool deck, one that I guarantee we would never have used in *normal* times.


Ordinarily, the stands would be filled with anxious and proud family members cheering for their child who would be trying for that time, that medal, that could lead to scholarships and further glory in the blue box of water. The decks would be crowded with team mates, coaches, and officials - all their attentions focused on the pool to watch the swimmers' progress in their events.
Like everyone else, the kids had to maintain social distancing guidelines: They had to wear their masks at all times, only taking them off just before they mounted the starting block to compete and replacing them upon exiting the pool. For the most part, they did really well. 

As can be seen in these pictures, there were no spectators allowed at the meet, which had been divided between the the two cities in order to meet the state's health department guidelines as to the number of people that could be in the facility at one time. This may seem harsh, but in this time it seems the best way to keep people healthy while allowing everyone - swimmers, coaches, meet staff, and volunteers, to participate in a sport they love.



 

2 comments:

21 Wits said...

And so it goes from 2020 and 2021!

William Kendall said...

Strict guidelines and screening is about the only way athletic activities can be happening right now.