Thursday, August 25, 2022

London gets the "Shard", the "Gherkin", and the "Walkie-Talkie". We get ...


 

The Underarm Deodorant Applicator!


Early one recent Saturday morning, I was waiting downtown for a bus that would take me to swim practice, enjoying the beautiful summer dawn, when I noticed the oval-shaped (sort of) building rising from behind the corporate headquarters of Cummins International.

Over the past several years, buildings have been sprouting up all around the city's downtown area. They are primarily apartment buildings. At first, I thought they were intended as housing for the large student population attending the universities located here, but they're all so expensive, exceeding what I imagine would be the usual student budget.

We have a lot of hospitals that are affiliated with the medical school. A couple of the corporate offices are the lairs of lawyers and accountants. One building, originally constructed by a large banking firm, now is the headquarters of a tech business. 

But where is the large population of a young workforce that should be filling all the surrounding apartments? I just don't see them. 




1 comment: