Monday, November 25, 2013

Swimming: Wonder



When I swim, I look into the water
and wonder where I am.
I cannot see my shadow.
It should be there, my movements 
silhouetted below me, but the surface 
of the water reflects it back. 
Broken up by the ripples, my image
is diffused, leaving me to float
and to move in a space where I can have
 the shape I want.
I swim to transform myself into the person
I want to be. Each day I dive into the pool 
the light reflects my shadow back into the air, 
disjointed and incomplete. 
It is up to me to reassemble its form; 
my coaches guide me, but I am the one
who determines how hard I want to work 
and, when I climb out of the pool in the evening, 
the wet shards fall away, piece by piece,
back into the pool as I select the ones 
I want to recreate my whole.




1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Quite tranquil.

I'll get in some swimming four or five times a week.