Sunday, February 1, 2015

Theme Day: If I had to Leave ...


I live in a fantasy world. 
I just about have to. 
This city is plain, it's politics controlled by selfish, 
conservative self-interests. 
Every day, I see the growing divide among haves
and have-nots. I am certain that there are more
 beautiful cities in the world, places with better architecture
and a more progressive attitude towards their
citizens, but this is home. This is a place where I've 
managed to find a progressive, contemporary art scene,
groups interested in the welfare of other people,
to find organizations interested in improving the city
for all, not just a select few cliques. 
My camera is in my pocket wherever I go,
I look for beauty where I find it.
Here, it is where the rain has washed away 
the oxidation and grime from the side 
a utility box on Crawfordsville Road.
To me, it resembles a grove of
snowy aspen trees.
Sometimes, not often, I take pictures of other
people. Generally, people hide in their e-devices,
refusing to meet the eyes of others and 
feel threatened when they do.
So, from across the street, here are a group
of people on a cold day, patients and employees
of Eskenazi Health waiting for the bus home.

If I had to leave, this is what I would miss -
the small and mundane things I see every day,
cracks in the sidewalk, the sky reflected in the
downtown buildings, the hard-working people I see,
just trying to keep food on the table
and roofs over their kids' heads.


The first day of every month is a designated Theme Day for
the members of the City Daily Photo blog community.
To see how they have interpreted today's theme,
"What Would You Miss?" just click on the above link 
or on the CDP badge to the right of this post.


2 comments:

William Kendall said...

I have many days when I feel discouraged by some of the same things. I find some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one.

The first shot has a very artistic sensibility to it.

Anonymous said...

I do not think our city is "plain" although it has lost some of the charm it had before big banks put their skyscrapers around the more scenic parts, dwarfing them and individualistic buildings were torn down to make way for modern office space.