Friday, December 25, 2020

A Feast for Robins

The trees that produce these berries seem to be pretty common in my area. There are about a half dozen of them planted near the branch bank in my neighborhood, another six outside a nearby church, and uncounted others all over town. I noticed these one rainy day and, since I'm a sucker for trying to get a decent photo of hanging drops of water, I stopped to take some pictures. 

Oddly, the birds don't seem to pay much attention to them until winter is well established. One morning years ago, I noticed one tree that was surrounded by robins, sitting around a berry tree. Apparently, they had been gorging on the fruit so much they were unable to fly. I wonder what happens to the berries during the winter that suddenly makes them so appealing to the robins? Do they at that point provide some nutrient for the birds? Or have they fermented?



 

No comments: