Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Comfort Food: But Wait! There's More!


 

It's ALLL comfort food.

This time last year, things were, shall we say, a bit precarious. My monthly expenses are generally about the same each month, but in 2019 it seemed that the price of everything -- EVERYthing went up 15-17%, including my rent; I went from being able to make ends meet to having the ends not meet, with nothing left over for groceries. I began to take advantage of a neighborhood food pantry, got some assistance with my energy bills, and applied for SNAP (what we used to know as food stamps is now a card with a monthly cash allotment to buy food).

Just before the pandemic became the controlling force of our lives, I had lined up a temp job. The report to work date was canceled about two weeks later when the stay-at-home order went into effect. Luckily, I had the allotment or I would have been S-O-L. Between the shut-down and our swim club beginning practice sessions, Congress did pass an emergency bill that provided laid-off/furloughed workers with compensation. One of my coaches suggested I apply, but I was hesitant, of the mind that "you don't work, you don't get." On the way home, I met a former co-worker who told me to apply for the benefits. I did, and because I had been given that "report to work" date, I was eligible to receive $600 a week for about 10-12 weeks, most of which I was able to put back for, like, now. 

What you see on those shelves is more food than has been on them at any time in the past forty years. I bought rice, beans, pasta, tuna, canned fruit and veggies, the ubiquitous peanut butter, and coffee. In my freezer is ground beef, chicken breasts, and fish, along with bags of broccoli and green beans, with dairy products in the fridge.

I learned the hard way. I have some stuff to share with others, but I plan on being able to get through the winter without having to ration a pan of buttered rice for my day's meals.

So you can well imagine what this time is like for many millions of others who, in addition to themselves, have little kids to feed and clothe, who are in danger of losing their homes because, due to Covid, their jobs are gone and Congress (i.e., Mitch McConnell) will not allow additional measures to help the citizens of their own country, many of whom voted for them. These people are being held hostage to the selfish ideologues who line their pockets with our dollars. They can't be gone soon enough.

Today being the first day of the month, is Theme Day. Today's theme is Comfort Food. To see how other members of the group have interpreted the theme, just click on the City Daily Photo badge to the right of this column.  

   

1 comment:

Tamera said...

Thank goodness you are getting through this! It's been such a hardship on so many. I agree with you about Mitch McConnell and I simply cannot comprehend how he keeps getting reelected. It's maddening! Food insecurity and worries over making the rent are things we should not be experiencing in this very rich country of ours. I am maintaining a positive attitude and always try to keep my eye on the light at the end of the tunnel -- I can't wait for things to return to some semblance of normal. Keep the faith!

Tamera/Colorado Springs Daily Photo