Monday, November 30, 2020

A New Leaf

 


Last July, I could be seen trudging through the Transit Center, lugging a tote and a bag full of groceries. Peeking out from one of those bags was a potted orchid, checking out the world beyond its nursery and the market's flower display for the first time in its bloomin' life. 

It had twelve flowers, all of which lasted until a couple weeks ago, falling off one by one. I trimmed back the remaining stems, hoping that the plant would last until next year, bringing with it a new batch of its pink and white blooms.

I did not expect to see a baby leaf emerging from within the larger plant, but it showed up not long before the remaining flowers fell off. The morning sun shines on it, showing its graceful curves and colors. While I like it just as it is, I want it to become strong like its parent leaves.

I've titled this post "A New Leaf", the same title of one of my favorite movies. I remember reading the short story, written by Elaine May, in The Saturday Evening Post, and when the movie came out in 1971, I think I was one of the few people to see it. I laughed so hard. The movie was both written and directed by Elaine May, but the studio, dissatisfied with her edits and perfectionism, took it away from her. Damn shame. And shame on them.


https://youtu.be/8Ilo6XbNG1M


No comments: