Friday, November 27, 2020

Thanksgiving Day: Love, Science, and Dr. Fauci

 


Initially, my family had planned, like millions of others, to gather for our annual Thanksgiving dinner and Craft Day. But as the Covid-19 infections began an ominous rise in our state, we all decided to stay in our bunkers, hunkering down as the virus's Dementors prowl outside our windows. It's hard because we don't get together often to visit, drink the local brews, and help the kids make Christmas decorations. We've all tried to be careful: to wear our masks, wash our hands, limit our contact with other people, and avoid un-necessary outside excursions. But it is what it is; we will make it through.

I went to the store to buy the makin's for my own little feast. I told my brother and sister I would have my dinner of turkey, dressing, truffled mashed potatoes, and Brussels sprouts and enjoy them with a picture of Flat Dr. Fauci pinned up across the table from me.

And I did. There he is, Flat Dr. Fauci, his intelligent, killer blue eyes staring tolerantly at my carb-heavy meal. (No seconds! I was full!) I wonder if he understands just how much he is admired and appreciated for his efforts to guide us through this difficult time?


https://storycorps.org/stories/this-thanksgiving-the-faucis-reflect-on-family-and-gratitude/

  



1 comment:

William Kendall said...

It's tough, but it has to be done.