Wednesday, November 25, 2020

"Holes" and "Lilies"



This installation is "Holes" by Chicago-based artist, Anders Hurwald Ruhwald. Every few years, the museum commissions a new installation for the main entry, of which this is the most recent.


This installation is a doormat. Found in the breezeway at the front entrance, I thought it a precursor to the circles of "Holes" to be seen just beyond, in the museum lobby.


This installation, now located at the back entrance to Newfields, near the Toby Theatre, is one of the earlier commissions displayed in the main lobby. Windows in the lobby have been covered with colored film. The glass panels turn in the circulating air, reflecting the colors, which are based on the palette used by Claude Monet when painting his series of "Water Lilies". 


2 comments:

dive said...

Hee hee, Speedway; only your eye could have spotted the doormat. Love the lilies installation; the "holes" one looks a bit too much like slave collars to me. Brr.

Speedway said...


Dive, you are absolutely correct. I don't care for "holes" much, either, because it makes me uncomfortable, too. I just couldn't put my finger on the reason. Your description is not the first one that came to me, but it is certainly apt.