Tuesday, November 17, 2020

So Much Beauty ...


 

So little time. Meh. That's a lie, I had plenty of time. There were a couple of exhibits I wanted to see and looking at the Asian art required my leaping into a rabbit hole. I wasn't in the mood for it.

I did go into a small gallery showing etchings and paintings by three Japanese artists. I'd visited them before, and again sat in awe of the skill and finesse of  this beautiful ink and pigment drawing by Shinoda Toko. Called "Release", it was created in 1979.

"The line I drew yesterday and the line I draw today are different -- line by line, I imagine and create, and something new inhabits the line." -- Shinoda Toko

 


Someone had thoughtfully provided a bench where visitors could sit in contemplation of the work. It was designed and made by George Nakashima, an icon of furniture making the world over, not just in the United States. 

First introduced in 1960, the Conoid Bench was named to honor the completion of the artist's Conoid Studio. The benches are each produced to work with and accentuate the beauty of the wood selected to make it. While each may vary a bit in size and shape, they all share common features designed to enhance the characteristics of the wood.



I've seen the benches for sale on-line at prices ranging from several thousand dollars into the mid-five figures. They are like grails for some people, and so it was when I saw this bench. There was no warning against my sitting on it, so I sat, and contemplated the large ink drawing on the opposite wall.

1 comment:

dive said...

Wow! Gorgeous pics, Speedway. Love the painting; like calligraphy, and I so want one of those benches.