Saturday, November 14, 2020

Side Chair


 I was drawn to this chair when I first laid eyes on it. It's in the design exhibit at Newfields, a place that is full of beautiful things, which purchased it in 2009.

Called the "Etruscan Side Chair," it was designed by American-born artist Danny Lane, whose studio in London turns out myriad gorgeous sculpture 
and furniture items. The pieces I saw on his website seemed to be predominately made of glass, steel, and wood.
 
Initially fabricated from mild steel, the Etruscan Chair was first produced by Lane in 1986, with the most recent made in 2016. An auction record I saw recently listed the proposed selling price at 
$14,000 to $15,000 for one chair. 
One chair. At that price, I want a set of them for
the dining room. 




3 comments:

Denton said...

The chair is interesting but I would hesitate to sit on it.

Rockinon said...

It is beautiful but I'll bet the "hesitate to sit on" remark is more common than one might imagine. I visited a very modern home in Detroit once that featured a glass staircase that was built to leave the illusion that it was unsupported. It appeared to be just anchored at the top and bottom. There were folk who, even after they had the illusion explained, refused to climb those stairs.

With eight of these glass chairs around a table, I would not be surprised if one or more guests refused to sit.

Cheers!

Speedway said...


My first big concern was with the issue of comfort. The glass is very highly polished, which to me means that a woman in a silk and/or satin gown would be sliding all over the thing during dinner. But it is beautiful and many more of his works are even more astounding. I'd prefer a table.