Friday, January 8, 2021

Looking for Brown II


 

The longer I looked at this picture, the more browns I saw. The dried hydrangeas seem to have more yellow in them than other areas, while leaves and bits of mulch have red, making the color seem more like burnt sienna. And the darkest bits are carrying more blue. Since brown is a tertiary color, one that is a mixture of red, yellow, and blue, how the balance of those colors are made determines the sort of brown the artist gets. One definition reads: "Tertiary colors are those that are made by either primary colors with secondary colors, or two secondary colors, or a full saturation of primary color and a half saturation of another primary color." WTF? Meh, I just mix blue with its opposite on the color wheel, which is orange. Since orange is a mixture of red and yellow, I just vary the mixture until I get what I want.



No comments: