Sunday, January 3, 2021

The Flower That Wanted to Be Sputnik


 Whenever I see a flower like this, one that has long spikes growing from a central core, I think of Sputnik 1, the first of three artificial Earth satellites, launched by Russia in 1957. Sometime afterward, my school class made a field trip to Indianapolis that included a stop at the Allison Manufacturing plant. While there we saw an exhibit of items made by the company. I vaguely recall some engines, but I definitely remember seeing a bright, stainless steel globe hanging from the ceiling. One of the men told me it was a model of Sputnik. I don't know why Allison had it. I also remember thinking how small it was - about the size of an armor-clad grapefruit with long antennas sticking out. The real Sputnik, at 184 pounds, weighed about the same as a grown man, so the one I saw was definitely a mock-up of some sort. But of everything we saw that day, over sixty years ago, that little Sputnik is the thing I still recall. And since Sputnik's first appearance well over sixty years ago, it might be said that the satellites, now often launched in entire bouquets, have proliferated, well, like weeds.



No comments: