Friday, April 25, 2014

For My Muse: You Smiled



You smiled,
and the dark, gray branches 
of winter disappeared,
covered in flowers.
The colors revealed themselves for you
as dogwood and magnolia
shed their velvet coats,
showing their creamy white complexions.
Daffodils, nodding their assent,
turned their heads to greet you
as pale, green sprinklings of new leaves
arrayed themselves at your feet.
The tulips' pastel gowns undulated and 
bounced with the breezes as, 
now and then, a petal flew
tracing a path in the air like Ginger Rogers, 
dancing with Fred Astaire.
You smiled
and Spring came.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Lovely poetry!

Speedway said...

Thank you, William. A friend asked me the other day what I took pictures of. I told him, "anything that catches my eye - flowers ... And he said, "Flowers? What flowers? There's no Spring!" Of course, he was full of shit and this post is for him.