Friday, January 24, 2014

Just About ...


A month ago, the winter season began and, 
with very little respite, it has been a misery of cold 
that quickly seeps into the bones along with 
the unaccustomed wind chill. 
Waiting for the bus near the Indiana
Historical Society, I looked into the Central Canal
where I was surprised to see gold fish
swimming just under the surface. 


The water was warm enough that steam rose 
from its surface. Ducks swam upstream,
themselves huddled against the frigid winds
 like their human counterparts 
on the streets above.


2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Now that's quite surprising to see goldfish about... that first shot has an artistic sensibility in how the fish are distorted in the water.

Speedway said...

Thank you, William. While I would have loved to get a clearer picture of the fish, any "artistic sensibility" I may have does prefer the distorted image.

The water in the canal is only about 3 feet deep - enough to swim in (not allowed except for an annual triathlon) and to wade from when done. So I was surprised to see it wasn't iced over, though I do think it gets iced in a few blocks farther north.