Friday, November 6, 2015

Layers


Workers are painstakingly restoring/renovating/repairing 
the exteriors of the pillars of the old 
Indiana National Bank building. I think the
current bank tenant is Planters, but the names have
changed so much over the years, I lose track.
Anyway ... the pillars used to be sheathed in white
marble, sheets of which have, over the years,
 loosened and fallen off. There are sheets that have
been strapped into place and, boy, are they ugly:
not only are the straps unsightly, but the grain
of the sheets are at right angles to the vertical pattern
of the other sheets of marble. I wince
every time I look at them.
So now, the entire surface is being redone.
The many layers of waterproofing and added
structure for hanging the new "marble"
sheathing can be seen in the photos.
I hope the changes stick.


1 comment:

William Kendall said...

I can see that taking quite awhile to get done.