Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Manatee Among the Seal People


In an effort to, finally, bring my life-long struggle with
weight under control, in June I joined a local organization 
for masters swimmers. Indy Aquatic Masters has
training sessions at several local pools six days of the week.


While the IUPUI Natatorium is generally 
where I swim during the week, on Saturday morning 
I joined the folks for a training session at 
the Riviera Cluban old pool that was first opened 
in 1933. I say *joined* advisedly because among 
the IAM members are people who regularly swim 
triathlons and compete in meets, as well as 
several folks who have swum the English Channel. 




If I want to become one of the seals, 
I need to work hard, to use tools like the fins 
and paddles shown in the top photo 
to help improve my stroke. The man standing
to the left in the above photo is Craig, 
my coach at IUPUI. His is the unenviable task
to help me reach the goals I've set for myself, 
but he first has to get me to the point when he can
refer to timed intervals to set and check my progress.
Poor bugger.


  


2 comments:

dive said...

Manatees are way cooler than seals.

Speedway said...

Thank you, Dive. Manatees and seals are both cool in their own special way. They just don't make pretty dresses for manatees, though.