Saturday, October 12, 2013

Different Drummers



On my way over to the Circle Theatre, where I occasionally volunteer 
as an usher for the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra,
I found myself in the middle of a pep rally on Monument Circle. 
Just outside the theatre door, the marching band from 
Grambling State University was playing.
 Saturday, they will perform in the Circle City Classic parade, 
as well as at the half-time show for their school's football game
against Alcorn State University. While people will
talk about the football game, I've always thought of 
it as just an excuse to have some of the best marching bands
in the country appear; this year, Grambling's Tigers
will take on the Alcorn Braves in a marching, horn playing
and drumline extravaganza that will leave every one happy.


In the top photo a horn player watches the conductor,
while the cheerleaders perform their carefully coordinated stunts.


See those huge men behind the small woman?


Here is the reason for their presence -


Below is a video of the Grambling Tigers' participation
in the 2013 Presidential Inauguration Parade.


I was able to watch nearly all of the performance 
before I had to go to the theatre a few feet away.
Here's Dies Irae, from Verdi's Requiem
the piece I went to hear Friday night. 
It is two different worlds, but the same because
both have music in their souls. Each performance was
beautiful and heart-filling. There is no way the video
can duplicate the warmth of the sounds, the way the chords
reached inside me and made me cry.
It's music. I am happy to have experienced both.



No comments: