Saturday, March 17, 2012

They're Here! They're Here!


I think I saw my first magnolia tree when I moved to Indy in 1978. I managed then to take a nice picture of one of its blooms, 
but haven't gotten any other decent ones since.
They seem like hearty flowers, but quickly get tattered, 
torn, and bruised with rusty edges when the first spring
cold snap and rains come through, as they always do.


But I managed to get some decent pictures today, 
the first without the rusty windblown edges.
The trees are popular in the neighborhood, 
so I can probably assume that other people
like them as much as I do.

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Growing up in Indiana, we called these Northern Magnolias. Now that I live in the south, where there are "real" magnolias, I have heard these called tulip trees. Whatever they are called, I think they are beautiful. Nice shots!

Speedway said...

Hello, Meghan. Thanks for dropping by, so to speak. Well, I guess growing up in Indiana you would know what "real" tulip trees look like. I guess when they begin blooming I'll have to post some pictures of them in their yellow-green and orange gloriousness.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

We have these also in the deep South, calling them Japanese Magnolias (Magnolia soulangiana). Like you, we often see the first blooms and then the weather ruins the full glory of pink. This year has been different and I am glad to see that you are enjoying them as well. With your great shots, you will always have the remembrance whether they bloom each year or not.

Thank you for all your comments. I have had an internet connection that was as slow as molasses, but am speeding along now.

Bises,
Genie

Speedway said...

Thank you, Genie. I was fortunate to be able to get out to take pictures just as they'd bloomed, before the rain and wind get to them. I'd taken a couple pictures earlier of buds showing the pink, just before they opened, so was able to time it, I think. And this wonderful weather helped.