This fine little mascot, frozen forever in flight,
accompanies its namesake, a 1930 Swallow,
on display at the 2014 Celebration of the Automobile,
held last weekend at the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
The Swallow Sidecar Company was established in 1922
in Blackpool, England to produce sidecars for motorcycles.
In 1926, the business evolved to include automobiles
and became the Swallow Sidecar & Coachworks Company.
Their first car, produced in 1928, was a conscious
re-creation of larger cars of the time, for a price that was
affordable to more of the populace.
The little Swallows proved popular and the company
became increasingly successful as it responded
to the needs of the marketplace,
adapting its name as necessary. It's last name change,
to S.S. Cars, Ltd. in 1934, was changed after
World War II due to the unfortunate association of
the "SS" with Nazi Germany. In 1945, the company
became Jaguar Cars, Ltd., and the little swallows in flight
became the sleek, leaping cats we know today.