Monday, May 5, 2014

Spring Embroidery


Most of my Saturday mornings find me at 
a swimming practice. However, not only was the site 
of this week's practice changed to a more distant location, 
bus service to my neighborhood was suspended 
because of the annual "Mini." 
It is a half-marathon race, 13.1 miles in length, 
that annually has over 30,000 participants, 
and winds its way from Downtown to 
the Speedway and back.
I took the opportunity to take a long walk,
an activity that I'd neglected because of the miserable
winter weather. It seemed like a chilly day for May,
and the plants looked a little wan, too.
Perhaps they were tired from the effort to germinate
and bud in these cold mornings.
At any rate, as I walked down Lynhurst Drive,
I noticed the sunlight on this flowering tree.
I do love lace and these white flowers looked
as though they'd been embroidered on a base of
black lace provided by the bare
limbs in the background.


2 comments:

William Kendall said...

The effect is quite lovely and pleasing to the eyes!

Speedway said...

Thanks, William. I don't know how many times I've walked down that street during spring, but this was the first time I'd noticed the newly flowered tree with bare-limbed trees in the background.