Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Beach Balls, Baby


It's summer! Yea! 
I'd like to think the chairs are empty because people 
have learned, at long last, that basking in the summer sun 
like a roaster chicken is not good for one's health. 
Not only does it result in prematurely aged skin (think raisins and prunes),
one runs the real risk of developing some horrible skin cancers.
Please use an effective sunscreen, 
applied liberally and often,
on yourself and your babies.
As for the babies, DO NOT take your eyes off them 
when you have them at the pool. 
Make certain they are wearing the proper life jackets 
and provide swimming lessons for them.
It goes without saying that you already know how to swim, right?
RIGHT?


4 comments:

dive said...

Those are seriously great photographs! Boy howdy I just want to dive right in there. I do miss having a pool.

Speedway said...

Thanks, Dive. I've taken a lot of pictures, so I have A LOT to draw from. For whatever reason, probably laziness, I don't like to mess with my pictures much beyond cropping them a bit. They are meant to serve mostly like a sketchbook, to remind me of things that might make nice paintings, etc. Consequently, it's inevitable that I come up with a decent picture because there are thousands.

dive said...

I trained as a photographer before I became an architect and I can confirm that the secret of all professional photographers is to take way too many shots so at least there'll be something worth salvaging.

Speedway said...

Hmmm. Ages ago, before I ever had a camera, I asked a LIFE photographer how many pictures he expected to be able to use from, say, a roll of film - 36 exposures. He told me he counted himself fortunate if he got 1 or 2 that might be usable. He didn't say "great" or "good," he said "usable." I took it to heart, so have never felt bad about throwing away most pictures from a roll of film, if not all of them. Digital makes it easier to keep a lot of them, as well as to discard even more.