Shown here are the front entrance and details from the Lacy Building, on Monument Circle in downtown Indianapolis. Originally called the Test Building, it was named for Charles E. Test, the former president of the National Motor Vehicle Company. When it opened in 1925 as a multi-use building, it was one of the first structures in the state intended for use as a parking garage: of its nine floors, the first three are for businesses, the next five floors allowed for parking of 200 cars, with a one-story "crown."
The structure of the building is a reinforced concrete frame decorated in smooth-dressed Indiana limestone. The architectural style is Neo-Classical Revival, with sculptural decorations created by local artist, Alexander Sangernebo, whose work appears on the facades of buildings all over the city.
The building was entered onto the
National Register of Historic Places in 1985.