Monday, February 27, 2012

Signs


In a world of corporate logos and trademarked design excellence, 
it is often refreshing to encounter handpainted, vintage 
and homemade signage. I saw these three examples within
a four block stretch along West Michigan Street. 


It's such a treat to find that the sign for Jung's Red Heart Beer
still appears on the side of the building where it
was painted many years ago.


And here is a homemade treat for a neighborhood
motorcycle shop. I can't decide whether the yellow 
things are two pair of blonde-haired boobies
or the nether ends of a couple flaming dicks.
Oh. Oh, yeah. Well, I guess they're exhaust pipes.

2 comments:

Charlestonjoan said...

I agree. I am always enchanted with the hand painted signs. Good catches!

Speedway said...

Hello, Joan, and thank you. As the city has grown, most of the little neighborhood storefronts have been razed or destroyed in the name of urbanization. I count myself lucky to have found the signs.