Sunday, September 2, 2012

Big Brown Eyes



The day I visited, the Belgian draft horses were just arriving 
for their segment of the Indiana State Fair.
There weren't as many as I was accustomed to
seeing and was disappointed to not see the great 
creatures pulling their wagons and carts, the fittings
of their harness jingling against the sound of
their massive hooves in the show ring's tanbark.


These Standardbreds had raced earlier in the day and 
were watching the activity outside their barn
as horse vans arrived to take them to their homes
or to another race track nearby.


1 comment:

dive said...

Great portraits, Speedway. That first shot reminds me of the horse's head in the Elgin Marbles room at the British Museum.
A wonderfully deep, intelligent eye that makes the horse appear to be thinking more deeply than "Why is that woman pointing that thing at me when she could be giving me a carrot?"