Monday, September 10, 2012

I Could Not Resist Their Lure


This pair of standpipes are attached to the outside of 
an attorneys' office on East Market Street.
Polished and gleaming, yet pitted and oxidized with
their red end-caps setting off their shine,
they await a duty it is hoped they never need
to perform.



Just underneath, there is a third outlet,
a common garden-variety spigot 
that receives more use, 
cleaning the sidewalk 
and watering the plants.
No polish, no chrome has ever
seen its humble exterior.



3 comments:

dive said...

Works of art, Speedway. Even though the bottom one is more humble it's had much more fun over the years.

neetzy said...

It is wonderful that you find beauty in simple things. I am currently teaching my photo students to "look". The are just beginning to find things they've never seen. These are wonderful.

Speedway said...

Thank you, Neetzy.

There are so many wonderful photographers who take beautiful pictures. I just wander around and snap anything that catches my eye. As Dive would tell you, I will take pictures of dirt and cracks in the sidewalk if I think I can make something out of it.

I don't have a car so I walk everywhere, as well as just for the exercise. I nearly always have my little camera in my pocket.