Friday, April 26, 2013

How Cubism Was Invented ...


...The model moved.
For several weeks I attended a painting class that was divided
into sessions for still life and portrait painting. I hated the first sessions;
I spent four years in high school art classes drawing still lifes 
and swore I'd never do another one. The ones set up for the little class 
were nothing I'd have chosen for myself; I was neither stirred 
nor motivated by them. 
I also did four years of drawing portraits where I showed 
a knack for distorting the features of my subjects. 
Over time, I learned to draw them "correctly,"
but at the cost of individuality, of any distinct personality of line.
So I was torn when I drew this young woman, between the need to 
regain that ability make the painting "look like" my subject
and just painting for the love of color. 
Yep, she sure is crooked, but she resembles her real self, too.
I hadn't painted a human from life for, like, forever, and it shows, 
but I am happy that I just chose to let the brush sort of
fall where it wanted, to let the color do its job.

5 comments:

dive said...

Excellent portrait, Speedway.
More, please!

Speedway said...

Dive, you are, as ever, kind.
No more. Class over.
One of the other people in the class and I plan to meet to go painting together. Maybe a few done outside (as opposed to the cooler term, "plein air").
Do you like the yellow bits?

Speedway said...

And she needs a nose rather than a schmear. Somehow, I'd thought I'd painted a nice pale blue line down the left side of her nose, but it's definitely not there. *Sigh.*

Stefan Jansson said...

Looks like you have found your way to painting portraits.

lin said...

How did Laska do that? I remember a room of beautiful drawings-- all looking like one person did them. I don't know how one person imprints himself on so many. ...and I agree with Stefan...