Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Talking Bricks


A couple weeks ago, I took myself on an odyssey to get a treat
from The Flying Cupcake shop on Massachusetts Avenue.
I didn't walk a straight line up the street to  the bakery, 
but one more like the flight path of a monarch butterfly as I
took the opportunity to explore a few of the alleyways.
I enjoy looking at old brick, seeing the oxidation and wear
time has made on the structures. In fact, I feel as though I can
even smell the bricks; on sunny days it seems as though
the bricks are telling me their stories in the clay-ey
aromas radiating from their surfaces.


1 comment:

dive said...

Gorgeous, warm old brickwork, Speedway. Modern, machine-cut bricks will never weather down in the same attractive way; instead, their surface spalls off after frost and they look ugly. Here's to hand-made bricks.