Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cat Lost His Hat


When I'm walking around Speedway and other places, 
there's no telling where artwork by various artists will show up.
Highway workers are laying a new roadbed on 
Crawfordsville Road that reminds me


But I never thought that the ubiquitous orange barrels 
that line highways all over the United States
would ever have found their origins
in Dr. Seuss's The Cat in the Hat.  


I like the rich, shiny blackness of new asphalt, 
here shown with the tan pea gravel 
and limestone base layers. As a kid,
I loved the smell of tar used by the street
pavers who had a company down the block
from my grandmother's house.


Here cord has been tightly strung along the roadbed, 
to mark the intended height of the pavement.
A sensor on the paving machinery 
will use the cord as a guide to the correct depth
and, as I understand it, will adjust accordingly
as it moves along.

2 comments:

dive said...

You have the ability - as ever - to see art in artless places, Speedway, but I must confess to giggling like a fool at the crushed cone and then running up to the attic to find my childhood Cat in the Hat books. I'm now going to brew up a coffee and enjoy a good wallow in nonsense rhymes.

Speedway said...

Thanks, Dive. You are kind as ever. But the base of the cone (made from discarded tire rims, by the way) is the proportion of the Cat's hat brim, too!

I think people see me wandering in places like the road bed and think I'm fucked up to beat the band (Voldemort scar not withstanding. I am a mighty warrior, don't you know!?). But it's everywhere, Dive! I'm just pissed because I know I'm missing so much more of it that I, with my limited imagination, haven't seen.