|Angel of the Resurrection, 1904|
Louis Comfort Tiffany
Stained Glass, Lead
The lights in the gallery are lowered so one can better appreciate
this stained glass window, Angel of the Resurrection, which
was commissioned by the widow of former
President Benjamin Harrison after his death in 1901.
The window was originally installed as a memorial to him in the
First Meridian Heights Presbyterian Church, which donated
the window to the Indianapolis Museum of Art in 1972.
|Wing Detail, Angel of the Resurrection|
Tiffany Studios produced the glass used in their remarkable
windows and lamps. In this window the opalescent colors
give depth and definition to the shapes of the figure, while rippled
glass adds detail to the feathers of the wings.
|Detail, Angel of the Resurrection|
In recent years, research has revealed
that many of the artists in Tiffany's glass studios
were women, headed by Clara Driscoll,
who was director of Tiffany Studios'
Women's Glass Cutting Department.
|Ten-Light Lily Lamp, 1902-1915|
Design Credited to Mrs. Curtis Freshel.
Produced by Tiffany Studios.
Glass and Bronze