Friday, July 13, 2012

I Wanna ... I Wanna ...


... I wanna car.
It's been a mantra for as long as I've been able to drive.
But why? With all of its associated expenses
I've never really had the money to support a car. 
Besides, all I really want it for is long trips, 
not the daily commute. These trips, though inconvenient and 
time-consumimg have actually been enriching,
allowing me to stay in contact with the world.
The bus was full of people going to work, 
coming from work, or going to classes.
Thursday morning, these two young women
were going over their homework assignments for
their nursing classes, while nearby a woman
with her two young children were on their
way to enroll in daycare. 


All of us, the driver and all of his passengers, are among the 99%,
trying to make our way through our day with honor, 
working to achieve dreams that just involve a roof over our heads
and food and clothes for the kids, and without whom the
other 1% could not survive.

2 comments:

dive said...

Hoorah for the 99%.
Great post, Speedway, and lovely pictures.

Speedway said...

Thank you, Dive. Since everything is dried up, it's too hot to be walking around much, and I'm working a little job, the pictures are few and far between. I managed to work up the nerve to ask the ladies to take their pictures because I thought the image of people working to advance themselves was important to record.