Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Textured Tuesday: Prepping the Wall


Since it has been so hot this season, I try to leave the house 
fairly early - generally around seven in the morning.
These guys beat me, though; they had started
their shift at 10 p.m. and were coming to the end of their
work day. Over the years, I've noticed a lot of highway crews
working through the night. 'Though still hot the temps
are tolerable, without the glare of the sun.


They had repaired holes in the stucco surface, puttied over gouges, 
and cleaned the surface. The men, for the most part, work in anonymity,
unaccustomed to nosy women asking about their work.

6 comments:

dive said...

Now that's the kind of graffiti I LIKE to see!

Speedway said...

Any graffiti posted around here is at once inarticulate, offensive, and un-artistic. There are some nice "canvasses" available which, thankfully, remain free of the taggers' abuses.

As for these photos, I wish I have shown more of the line and contrast I found in the scene. I guess just to have taken the picture is a start.

dive said...

Are you sure these were city workers and not some minimalist graffiti ensemble?

Speedway said...

You know, great minds must think alike, but I dismissed the notion of "minimalist graffiti" because I thought it would require a subtlety of intellect that egocentric graffitists do not have. Unless these guys were the first and their work is so refined I didn't notice it. And that's entirely possible! :-b

dive said...

There are actually some out there who have grasped it. There's one team in particular who use stencils and a power washer. They actually clean dirty walls, leaving a pattern of animals and trees still dirty having been masked out by the stencils.
Sweet.

Speedway said...

Ooh, that sounds so cool! I'd love to see them? Are there any pictures? Hint,hint.