Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Funny Face


I love this little home-made creature and visit it several
times a year during my walks through the neighborhoods. The other
day, he was wearing a lacy gray collar, analogous to his
own coloration.


Growing up, I was frequently called ugly to my face,
occurrences that did not stop until I was well into my 20s. 
To this day, I have virtually no real sense of my own looks
except to say that none of my men chewed an arm off
to escape. In fact, most tended to stick around --
years at a time in fact. But I think it was more for my
efforts to accept myself  as "interesting," both in
looks and interests. The little gremlin above
started out with shiny paint and bright eyes.
Over the years, the paint has become worn, his eyes
a bit rusty. He's acquired a patina that has its
own beauty, that can only be gotten with
long experience. Like me? Like me.

2 comments:

dive said...

Hee hee. He's a cutie alright. I bet he's proud of his lacy ruff collar.

"Interesting" is good, and hey, you KNOW you look good; even the scar from your run-in with Voldemort looks cool.

And which moron cast a young and heartbreakingly beautiful Audrey Hepburn as "Funny Face"? Sheesh! What a pity that pairing her with an aged Fred Astaire now seems genuinely creepy. Good to see the old clip, though.

Speedway said...

I do just love that little animal, whatever he is. He's definitely unique.

And thank you for your kind words. As ever you always have compliments for everyone. And I've grown fond of the evidence of my duel with You-Know-Who. I think the doc will do a bit more work to clean up a couple bumps, but it's quietly taken its place on my forehead and will fade over the coming months, I'm sure.

As for Fred, well, I've always loved him and never really thought about how creepy it seemed to have Audrey Hepburn cast opposite him. But hasn't Hollywood been doing that for eons - inappropriately young women cast opposite older men?